Saturday, June 18, 2011

Arrow Boys and Border Towns

My most recent travel in Sudan has lead me to one of the more interesting stories I’ve heard in a while…so I thought I’d share it.

This morning I packed up my things in Yambio, and headed out to perform assessments on some clinics in a town called Ezo. Ezo is directly on the border of Central African Republic (CAR), and the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). This being South Sudan, there is no demarcation, but apparently there are a pile of stools…yes like wooden stools… in a market, that designate the tri-border. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to document the pile of stools…but we did drive on a road, half of which belongs to Sudan, and the other half of which belongs to CAR. I fully appreciate that in another 50 years, there will most likely be security and guards and fences…but not yet ☺

The town of Ezo has been plagued by attacks from the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA), a rebel/terrorist group based out of northern Uganda. Their leader, Joseph Kony has terrorized citizens on the borders of Sudan, DRC, CAR, and of course, Uganda. The LRA are know for brutally torturing and mutilating their victims as well as forcing children to become child soldiers. The group is so effective because they are always on the move, constantly taking refuge in the jungles, and running from place to place up to eight hours without rest.

Since last year, LRA activity has significantly diminished, in Sudan in particular. In Ezo, for example, citizens are beginning to return to “the bush” or to their rural homes or villages. Most reports state that there only about 200 LRA soldiers, which operate in bands and groups of 4-5 individuals. Previously, the LRA has operated in bands of 30-40 and village raids have been much more violent. The decline in activity is due to several factors including the Ugandan Army, the Southern Sudanese Army (SPLA), and my personal favorite… the Arrow Boys.

The Arrow Boys are young men and local villagers who have equipped themselves with bows and arrows to fight Kony’s LRA. A blacksmith in town makes the arrowheads and distributes them to various young people in the region. The boys go out into the bush in groups of 2-3 in search of LRA members. Those who are founds are immediately killed. When LRA members try to raid villages or homes, taking captives with them, the Arrow Boys quickly mobilize and follow the group until they stop for rest. During their rest, the boys spread out and shoot at the LRA members with their arrows, which ensure silence. Their position is never surrendered and they can pursue bands of soldiers and captives more quickly than the SPLA.

When I arrived in Ezo I sat down to talk to some of the staff in the clinic. The building looked like it had been through hell. The clinic was evacuated and moved into town until the SPLA set up camp and secured the area surrounding the clinic and a school. I found it fascinating discussing “primitive” warfare tactics with a hardened clinical officer on the boarder of three suffering nations. The people were so wonderfully welcoming to me and grateful for my appearance in their town. I always am stunned by the disparity between my life and theirs and I am so thankful they tell me their stories. What an honor to hear about their lives…

No comments:

Post a Comment